18th Jun 2010
Friday // 3am // 2 years ago
The work place
I’ve hardly any excuse for this negligence. All I have been doing, admittedly, is drink, work, and spend time with my noble knight.
But to the point, work. That is what this post is all about. I work at a boutique that sells jewelery, hand bags, shoes, and a few clothing items. It’s a wonderful environment for a Princess! My job is to help women feel their most royal and I adore it!!
My work place requires a less than royal dress code of only black and white. As mentioned in my previous posts, I adore pink. It’s my most favorite of colors in the world! But being limited made me focus on accessories more, as is the point of my uniform. We are to dress in such plain colors to put more focus on accessories so I learned more about that. We can wear any color shoe, belt, hair accessories, and jewelery.
This has pulled me to read more into Happie Nuts magazine, it’s a japanese fashion magazine that I will admit is hardly princess like, but does seem to bring in a lot of use of black. This has been my inspiration for my work clothing, as this has become my everyday clothes. I hardly make enough to keep two wardrobes… this will hopefully improve once the knight finds new work (i pray for this shoe store he applied at…).
So here are so things I’ve come to find about working retail when one is royal… in my tradition bulleted lists:
- Find a way to keep smiling. You have to have a friendly demeanor to work retail, it’s a rarely rewarding path of work. No one seems to appreciate the hard work you do to make their shopping experience wonderful. You keep the store in order, you find items, and you supply excellent service. Some days, I do get the grateful shopper who thank me for finding them the perfect necklace for a dress or the right size of shoe. I love those people endlessly.
- Make sure you feel good in what you wear. If you sell fashion as I do, you have to look like you know what you’re talking about. My work place asks we keep fashion forward so magazines are always in the break room and we can borrow from the store to dress for work. I never borrow but I remember trends. I supply a new twist since I love asian fashion so I always stand out. It also helps to keep good insoles and back up shoes when you wear cute pumps to work. I work through the pain though, anything to look good… It won’t be a problem though! I found some lovely 2 inch heels that will be great and comfortable for work!
- Makeup that will last the day! You don’t get much time for touch ups so I find something that looks better with wear. Since I wear circle lenses (which I get comments all day about how large and cute my eyes are) I make sure my liquid liner never smudges in case I rub and I wear a dusty purple shadow with black for a smoky look that fades into a beautiful deep purple that lasts all day. With waterpoof mascara and false lashes I look wonderful all day at work!
- Support hose! They will be your best mate through the whole day!! I love them to death, my legs feel less tired and I look great all day. They make standing for hours easier.
- Always chat up customers. Find out why they’re there, if you can help them find something, and even more suggest items to them! Since I sell accessories it’s super easy. They love a necklace, there’s a bracelet, earrings, and such to match and they’d so look fab in.
- Don’t lie!! I would NEVER sell anything that makes my customer look bad just to make a sale. I will spend all my time making sure she looks as royal as she wants to feel. Every woman is royalty in her way and it’s important to keep that idea in mind. Make sure they look the best ever.
For now that’s all I have found from my job that might help some others out there. I’ll hopfully be back with some sort of awesome post of amazingness.